The Regulations

When a person is being paid to drive a vehicle “Off the Highway” or use any equipment as part of the job they are by law required to comply with HSE & PUWER regulations which quite clearly states that adequate training must have been undertaken to ensure the safe use of the equipment.

The standard driving test does not assess your skills to drive on:
Loose, slippery, rocky, sandy or muddy surfaces.
These are additional and advanced skills only covered on specialist courses.

Do The Regulations Apply To Me?

HSE States that:

If you are an employer or self-employed person and you provide equipment for use at work, or if you have control of the use of equipment, then the Regulations will probably apply to you.

Employers must “ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for the purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using work equipment, and risks which such use may entail and the precautions to be taken” (PUWER regulation 9).

This includes driving a vehicle off the highway